Thursday, May 20, 2010

Say Cheese!

For his birthday this year, I asked Sayre what kind of cake he would like for me to make for him. When he happily replied, "CHEEEEEESECAKE!!!" I cringed ever-so-slightly inside. You see, despite having received a spring-form pan over a year ago from Rachael at my Bridal Shower, I had still not made a cheesecake. Somehow I had convinced myself that eating cheesecake was far simpler and way more satisfying than attempting to bake a cheesecake. I just knew that when I pulled the thing out of the oven it would immediately laugh in my face and then collapse. I'm still not sure how I came to this conclusion, but I accepted it as truth and tucked the spring-form pan into my cabinets. I knew, however, that this was Sayre's one real birthday wish - to have a cheesecake all of his own - and I had to step up to the challenge!

The first hurdle I had to jump was finding a good recipe. I know that cheesecake is about as far from being healthy as you can get, but I was determined to find a "guilt-free" recipe. After some extensive research, I found one that used fat-free cream cheese and totaled in only 2 grams of fat and 44 calories per serving! Yesssss! Amazing, huh? Anyway, on the eve of the anniversary of Sayre's birth I set out on the daunting task. I pulled out the spring-form pan from its hiding spot, gave it a good pep-talk, and started mixing up my ingredients. About 45 minutes later, it was done... the timer on the stove was beeping... this was going to be the moment of truth. I carefully walked over to the kitchen, so as not to shake the ground beneath me resulting in cheesecake catastrophe, carefully removed it from the oven, and ever-so-gingerly placed it on the stove top to cool... then I warned Sayre that he better not go clomping near the thing for fear of his life! :) To my great surprise, the cheesecake survived, it was a tasty success, and Sayre was a very happy birthday boy the next day! I just wish I would have let go of my fears and given it a try a long time ago... I have a feeling that the formlery dreaded spring-form pan is about to get a lot of use!

No comments:

Post a Comment