Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Fourth Times Two

Sunday night we celebrated the Fourth of July all over again... this time with Sayre! He's been working very long hours lately, but I guess since it was Independence Day his captain decided to have mercy on them all and gave them the day off. When he came home verrrrrry early Sunday morning after standing watch I was still half asleep as I asked him if he had gotten the day off and then subsequently told him something along the lines of, "Oh. Good. Well, Katharine & I are going to see some more fireworks tonight so you can come, but only if you want to." Hehe I'm not sure if he appreciated that at the time or not, but at least I invited him, right? Anyway, the three of us ended up having an all-American celebration complete with bar-b-qued hamburgers and some delicious lemon squares that Katharine made & a little patriotic dessert that I made as well.

After eating, we headed out to the beach to watch some fireworks. The beach was pretty packed and to our surprise (and slight horror) we found that they actually let you shoot your own fireworks right there on the beach despite the fact that it was packed with people as you wait for the real fireworks show to begin. There's no way that this is even a remotely good idea but we just made sure to duck when they were getting to close for comfort. Danger aside, we had a good time and the fireworks were, once again, a beautiful sight to see on such a wonderful holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment