On Saturday we ventured down to Cape Canaveral to check out the Kennedy Space Center. We got up bright and early for our 2 & 1/2 hour drive, got there around 9:30, and spent the entire day absorbing the sights & sounds of NASA. Cool factor of the day: the Space Shuttle Atlantis was sitting on the launch pad in preparation for its July 8th launch so we were able to view it from the observation tower and snap some awesome photos (thanks to our new 28mm-300mm zoom lens)! What a neat experience! I'd absolutely love to see a shuttle launch someday, but actually seeing it on the launch pad was pretty neat too!! Anyway, we had a great day! We were pretty tired by the time we got home though!
On Sunday, Father's Day, we enjoyed some time relaxing for a bit before heading out to Mayport to see the next ship Sayre will report to in the fall. Yes, for those that haven't heard already, we will be staying in Mayport for Sayre's next sea tour!! Anyway, it was pretty exciting to see his new ship. Granted, it's not like it's new to Mayport or anything... I mean heck, I'm sure I've unknowingly laid my eyes upon it many times before, but the fact that Sayre will soon be on it kind of shed a new light on that old chunk of metal ;) Anyway, later on we celebrated Father's Day with a delicious meal at PF Chang's and perused Barnes & Noble for a little while - another great day!
Unfortunately his time here came & went too quickly, just as it always does, but hopefully he & mom will be back to visit soon! Sayre and I always enjoy having company around!! (hint, hint to anyone thinking of coming to Jacksonville ;) )

No comments:
Post a Comment