Monday, January 11, 2010

It's all in a name...

So last week I went to Kinko's to get some brochures I made for my business printed. When I walked up to the counter, the clerk asked me for my name so I began to spell it out for her. After she finished typing, she repeated it back to me to make sure she had it right. She said, "L-E-E-S-L-E?" and, of course, I said, "No. It's L-E-S-L-I-E." She corrected it then went on to spell my last name back to me. "J-E-A-N-E-T-T-E?" I guess she didn't hear me correctly at all the first time I spelled my name out to her, so once again, I said "No" and told her that the correct spelling is "J-E-A-N-N-E-T." (Now, here comes the kicker... get ready for this...) She then, straight-faced, said to me, "Well, are you sure that's correct? I've never seen it spelled like that before. I thought it was J-E-A-N-E-T-T-E." I tried to hold back the laughter as I told her that although there are many ways to spell Jeannet, the spelling that I gave her was, in fact, correct, and that yes, I do know how to spell my own last name even though it's still fairly new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment