Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Puppies-N-Things

There's a store here at the Jacksonville Avenue Mall called Puppies-N-Things. We first heard about it from another couple here in Jacksonville who went there once while they were out and about and told us that it was a fun place to go browsing around and play with adorable pups. The first time we went (a few months ago) they had some very cute puppies there; however, none of them were little dachshunds so we were spared from any impulsive desire to snatch a puppy up for ourselves. This past weekend, it was a different story.

It was a Saturday afternoon, we had just gone to lunch with our friends Abby and Paul, ran some errands, and we were looking for something else to do before returning to our apartment. I happily suggested going to visit the pet store since we hadn't been in awhile because, well, how can you visit a pet store and not leave with a huge smile on your face? :) I assumed that since they didn't have any dachshunds there last time, surely they wouldn't have any things time... wrong! As soon as we stepped foot into the back area where they keep the pups, my eyes locked in on an adorable little dachshund girl. Y'all, it was love-at-first-sight! And she was on sale... if you know me, then you know that one of the things that I surely inherited from my mother is a passion for finding things on sale. Ooooh my goodness, it took everything in me to be rational and convince myself of the truth: we don't need a dog right now. Over and over again, I repeated that phrase. In fact, it became my montra for the day.

Sayre, God bless him, is really too good of a husband. He saw the look on my face as I held that little puppy in my arms and asked the most dangerous question he's probably ever asked in his life (aside from proposing ;) just kidding!) He said, "Do you want her?" I looked at him, blinked my eyes a few times, and said, "YES, of  course I want her! But no... not now... we can't." Then he told me, "I'll get her for you if you really want her." Oooh just tug on my heart-strings some more! I honestly have no idea where the will-power came from that I managed to muster up, but I knew deep down that now is not the time for a puppy. We walked out the store and vowed that someday we would have our very own little dachshund. As we drove back I fantisized about stumbling upon a wild pack of little dachshunds, capturing them, and taking them home with me. Maybe that's where life will lead us someday... to have our own herd of dachshunds. Or maybe not. Just one would do quite nicely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment